Samoa’s Electric Power Corporation employee died of electrocution

Electric Power Corporation of Samoa said the death of a 22 year old employee last week has come as a shock to the whole Corporation.

EPC General Manager, Tologata Tile Leia Tuimalealiifano said the incident is an unfortunate and tragic accident. 

The deceased is Tevita Amituanai from the village of Vaitele and Salailua.

Amituanai was part of the five linemen team including a supervisor that attended the upgrade works on its low voltage distribution network on Wednesday, 27 March 2019.

At around 3pm while working on its low voltage distribution network at Alafua, Amutuanai accidentally slipped and was electrocuted. 

“Tevita (Amutuanai) had his full safety gear on when the accident happened, however, it is quite tragic that this has happened to one of our own. From investigations, the logistics of the work site where he was working and with reference to statements obtained from witnesses, Tevita slipped from the ladder and accidentally touched the live wire while attempting to conclude the works on the Low Voltage Power Pole he was working on. Weather condition of light showers and wind towards the end of their work has not been ruled out as a contributing factor,” Tologata said.

Given the sensitive nature and circumstances surrounding the death of our own, the Electric Power Corporation’s first priority since then, was to assist Tevita’s family and his working team in coming in to terms with his passing and reminding the employees of Safety Policies and Procedures.