North Korea

North Korea's Kim Jong-un issues threats and olive branch

In a televised new year speech, he said the entire US was within range of North Korean nuclear weapons, adding: "This is reality, not a threat."

But he also offered a potential olive branch to South Korea, suggesting he was "open to dialogue".

North Korea may also send a team to the Winter Olympics in Seoul, he said.

When asked by reporters to respond to Mr Kim's latest threats, US President Donald Trump said, "We'll see, we'll see".

He was speaking at the sidelines of New Year's Eve celebrations at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

Sydney man charged with being 'economic agent' for North Korea

Chan Han Choi, 59, has been charged with brokering illegal exports from the country and discussing the supply of weapons of mass destruction.

Police allege he has broken both UN and Australian sanctions.

The case against the suspect, who has lived in Australia for more than 30 years, is a first for the country.

Never before has someone been charged under the country's 1995 Weapons of Mass Destruction (Prevention of Proliferation) Act.

Police say there was evidence that Chan Han Choi had been in contact with "high ranking officials in North Korea".

North Korea: Urgent need to open channels, UN says after visit

The statement follows a visit to Pyongyang by Jeffrey Feltman, the highest-level trip by a UN official to the isolated nation in six years.

North Korea says it has agreed to regular communication with the UN.

Tensions over the North's weapons programme were raised further after a fresh ballistic missile test last week.

North Korea said it was its most advanced missile yet, capable of reaching the continental US.

The test was the latest in a series of nuclear and missile tests conducted in defiance of UN sanctions.

US urges all nations to cut ties with Pyongyang

Speaking at the UN Security Council, US envoy Nikki Haley said President Trump had asked his Chinese counterpart to cut off oil supplies to Pyongyang.

She said the US did not seek conflict but that North Korea's regime would be "utterly destroyed" if war broke out.

The warning came after Pyongyang tested its first missile in two months.

North Korea's latest missile launch puts Guam on alert

A ballistic missile fired this morning is the first in more than two months.

Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense issued a statement that said there was no immediate threat to the territory from the launch.

The Guam Homeland Security Advisor George Charfauros said the launch is a reminder to keep emergency plans updated.

"After two months of no missile activity out of North Korea, this morning's launch reminds us to keep emergency plans updated and be prepared for any scenario," he said.

North Korea launches new ballistic missile

The Pentagon said it believed it was an intercontinental ballistic missile that flew for about 1,000km (620 miles) and fell into the Sea of Japan.

South Korean news agency Yonhap said that the missile was launched from Pyongsong, South Pyongan province.

North Korea's last ballistic missile test was in September.

That came days after it had conducted its sixth - and largest - nuclear test.

The US said the latest launch happened at about 03:30 local time (18:30 GMT).

US adds North Korea to list of state sponsors of terror

In a cabinet meeting, he said the move would trigger "very large" additional sanctions to be announced on Tuesday.

Mr Trump blamed the country's nuclear programme, and support for what he called international acts of terrorism.

While announcing the decision, the US president said it "should have happened a long time ago".

Mr Trump said that North Korea had "repeatedly supported international acts of terrorism" and added that the regime must act lawfully and also cease its nuclear weapons programme.

North Korea nuclear threat 'accelerating'

Mr Mattis warned it would face a "massive military response" if it used nuclear weapons.

Separately, North Korea released a South Korean fishing boat which it said had been found in North Korean waters illegally.

The crew of 10 were released on Friday evening, South Korean officials said.

It comes at a time of heightened tension in the region, with both sides running a series of military exercises.

North Korea to release captured South Korean fishermen

The vessel and its crew will be released "at the military boundary in the East Sea," North Korean state news agency KCNA reports.

The decision was made after the crew apologised for the "offence", it adds.

It comes at a time of heightened tension in the region with both sides running a series of military exercises.

North Korea said the release of the fishing vessel, due later on Friday, follows an admission of wrongdoing from those on board, who it said had "repeatedly asked for leniency".

Japan PM promises 'firm' action on North Korea

Mr Abe had said he called the election a year early in order to increase his mandate amid a number of "crises" facing the country.

Among them was the increasing threat from Pyongyang.

The initial exit polls suggested Mr Abe had done just that, retaining his two-thirds "super-majority".

This is vital to his ambition to revise Japan's post-war pacifist constitution - enacted by the country's American occupiers in 1947 - Article 9 of which calls for the complete renunciation of war.