Police Spokesperson Su’a Le Mamea Tiumalu says the loss of the infants life was an untimely event, and one that could have been avoided. However, he says no foul play was involved in the incident.
“Early Tuesday morning the infant was asleep when his 11 year old brother lit a mosquito coil. Unfortunately, he also left the box of matches in the same bowl the mosquito coil was in and somehow the matches caught fire and spread across the house,” he said.
The one year old was alone in the house when the fire started.